Are you hosting guests anytime soon?
You may wonder how to have your home ready to receive your guests when they arrive. Leave the stress behind and follow a simple plan to ensure that you can focus on family and friends rather than worry about mopping floors or washing windows.
Instead, do these seven little things, and your guests are sure to feel comfortable and relaxed in your home.
You can make this your low-pressure checklist to keep on hand each day during the holiday season. If you can’t do each one every week, don’t worry! Put aside about an hour each day to tidy up, but target these areas for the greatest return on investment for home improvement even beyond the holidays.
- Vacuum. You may want to consider getting a lightweight electric broom, but quickly running the vacuum in the rooms where your guests will be is a must. These include the entryway, dining room, bathroom, guest room, and living room.
- Clean the bathroom. If you only have time to clean one room thoroughly, this should be the guest bathroom. Many guests will overlook a little dust under the coffee table or some lint on the carpet. However, a dirty bathroom is rather unpleasant. Clean the sink and toilet. Wipe the mirror, and keep extra toilet paper within reach. Put out fresh hand towels, empty the trash can, and consider lighting a scented candle in the bathroom before everyone arrives.
- Wipe down the kitchen counters and sweep the floor. Cooking for guests is hard work sometimes, and your kitchen counters may show it. Take a few moments to clear the counters and wipe them down. The same goes for the floor. You may not have time to mop, but sweep the floors to remove fallen food particles and other debris.
- Clear the kitchen sink of dirty dishes. Load the dishwasher and start it. Do this before your guests arrive. If you have a little time, you can unload it before everyone sits down for dinner. If not, at least the sink is clean without dirty dishes stacked high.
- Dust and straighten. Target the areas where your guests will be and remove the clutter. Then dust all the surfaces. This means the electronics, side tables, coffee tables, and shelves. At the same time, you can adjust the lighting by turning off overhead lights and turning on lamps instead. Add some candles for warmth. This will help draw the attention away from areas you didn’t have time to deep clean while making everyone feel cozy.
- Fluff the pillows on the couch and chairs. Home improvement can be as simple as this. Did you take a nap on the sofa while dinner was cooking? That’s great! Remember to fluff the pillows after, and your living room will look inviting.
- Have a place set for handbags and coats. This one step will help you appear completely ready for guests at any time. If you have an entryway coat rack, clear it to make room for your guest’s coats and umbrellas. Or pick a bed in one of the bedrooms to clear in advance for everyone to place their items.
Finally, put on some music, relax, and enjoy your guests!
– John R. Wood Properties, Website www.johnrwood.com
Title Junction is a full service real estate title company serving the area of Fort Myers, Cape Coral and the entire state of Florida since 2005. The company handles a number of real estate title services for both commercial and residential properties.
Have questions? Give us a call at 239.415.6574.
In case you missed it, check out our last Title Junction post: 5 ways to get your Fort Myers Real Estate Transaction to close Faster!