There are many steps to applying for a loan, and quite a few of them serve the purpose of ensuring that you won’t fall victim to loan fraud or be disqualified due to inaccuracies. Here we provide a helpful list of dos and don’ts during the lending process—be sure to follow all of these steps as you apply for a loan:
- Be sure to read and understand everything before you sign.
- Refuse to sign any blank documents.
- Accurately report your debts.
- Tell the whole truth about gifts.
- Be truthful about your credit problems, past and present.
- Be honest about your intention to occupy the house.
- Don’t buy property for someone else.
- Don’t overstate your income.
- Don’t overstate how long you have been employed.
- Don’t overstate your assets.
- Don’t change your income tax returns for any reason.
- Don’t list fake co-borrowers on your loan application.
- Don’t provide false supporting documents.
By following these steps, the likelihood of your loan process going smoothly and safely increases dramatically.
At Title Junction we care about helping you stay informed throughout your real estate transaction. Have questions? Give us a call at 239.415.6574.
In case you missed it, check out our last Title Junction post: Avoid These 7 Expensive Mistakes When Buying or Selling A Home